Far Cry Movies
Release Date, Cast, Plot, Review, Opinions
Far Cry first-person shooter franchise published by Ubisoft has always shared the theme of discovering open environments and scape a menace to control regions where values and laws of today are non-functional while surviving against wild creatures through hunting and crafting.
Most of them do not share a significant narrative, although the principal developers (Ubisoft Montreal) have stated all games share the same fictional universe. This is proven in Far Cry 6’s DLC.
If you’re here today, you have likely played at least some bits of the single-player or cooperative campaign from any of the following standalone games of the series:
- Far Cry (2004): Jack Carver, an ex-Special Forces operator, is standred on a Micronesian archipelago. He is (you are) searching for a missing female journalist after her the sailboat you escorted her was destroyed by mercenaries.
- Far Cry Instincts (2005): This Xbox port released in September of 2005 resembles the PC Far Cry version, although it’s not as open-ended but makes it up for it with new abilities, a map creator, and bonus multiplayer modes powered by the Xbox Live.
- Far Cry Instincts: Evolution (2006): This sequel was also released for Xbox in March 2006. Includes new weapons, vehicles, multiplayer modes, a different (but shorter) campaign, and an improved map-maker.
- Far Cry Instincts: Predator (2006): This Xbox 360 port was released on the same day as Evolution and it was a graphically enhanced version of it, with some new map editing features.
- Far Cry Vengeance (2006): Ubisoft developed and published this one for the Nintendo Wii console, featuring changed controls, three new levels, as well as new weapons and vehicles.
- Paradise Lost (2007): Developed by Global VR, this is a trail shooter arcade game port of Far Cry Instincts played with stationary turrets with rockets and grenades.
- Far Cry 2 (2008): The story revolves in a Central African state, around an arms smuggler knowns as “The Jackal”. It opened the possibility to explore 50 km2 of savannah, forests, and towns a handful of dangerous animals.
- Far Cry 3 (2012): This one made the franchise popular. It’s about Jason Brody and his American tourist’s friends who arrive on a set of islands in the Pacific, home of pirates. Its leader, Vaas, is still a fan favorite.
- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (2013): More than a game itself, BD is an 80s inspired, stand-alone “expansion pack” on Far Cry 3. It shares the same game engine and gameplay mechanics, but the story is not related at all.
- Far Cry 4 (2014): This one is set in the fictional country of Kyrat, in the Himalayas region, where the self-appointed king “Pagan Min” has to be overthrown in the middle of war by you (Ajay Ghale), the protagonist.
- Far Cry Primal (2016): You play as Takkar, a hunter from the Stone Age who slowly rises to become the leader of a tribe.
- Far Cry 5 (2018): The Eden’s Gate cult, led by Joseph Seed (The Father) and his siblings have taken control of the fictional Hope County, in modern-day Montana. It’s your mission as a sheriff’s deputy, to stop the growth of their violent followers.
- Far Cry New Dawn (2019): A nuclear war occurs seventeen years after the events of Far Cry 5 and the survivors (you included) have to push the limits to rebuild the population.
- Far Cry 6 (2021): Announced on July 2020 at the Ubisoft Forward event and planned to release in October of 2021; this one follows the story of the Cuban-like fictional country of Yara, its dictatorial president Anton Castillo, his son Diego, and a revolution led by you, Dani Rojas.
The majority of Far Cry games have been well-received and are considered commercial successes, which is not the case for the movie adaptation, although Netflix will try to change it.
Everything About The Far Cry Movie
Production, Release Date, and Reception
This English-language; German action film was directed by Uwe Boll after acquiring rights from Crytek. Its production was first announced on an interview in 2006 and it was released in 2008.
Like most of his films, it was a box office bomb ($783,501 of cumulative worldwide gross with an estimated $30,000,000 budget) and a disappointment for critics.
IGN game a 3 out of 10 to the film, accompanied by the following statement:
“Perhaps one day game companies will learn to be more particular about the directors they choose to realize their products on the big screen. Fans of the game, and fans of movies in general, would be wise to avoid this one at all costs. Unless, of course, your purpose is to mock.”
Far Cry (2008) Trailer
Cast and Characters (Who made the Far Cry movie?)
- Til Schweiger (Jack Carver)
- Emmanuelle Vaugier (Valerie Cardinal)
- Natalia Avelon (Katia Chernov)
- Michael Paré (Paul Summers)
- Clint Howard (lead scientist)
- Craig Fairbrass (Mike)
- Udo Kier (Dr. Lucas Krieger)
- Mike Dopud (Sgt. Ryder)
- Chris Coppola (Emilio)
- Ralf Möller (Max Cardinal)
- Don S. Davis (General Roderick)
- Jay Brazeau (Ralph)
- Michael Rogers (Kelly)
- Anthony Bourdain (Tad Chanko)
Plot/Synopsis (What is the “Far Cry” movie about?)
As in the original 2005 Far Cry game, German ex-special forces soldier, Jack Carver, is hired by the journalist Valerie Cardinal, to help her reach islands where her uncle Max works on.
However, the top-secret research facility’s director, Dr. Krieger, is an evil mastermind who’s creating genetically modified super-soldiers. Both Val and Uncle Max are taken by these brainless mercenaries, and it’s up to Jack to rescue them back.
Review & Opinions
Criticizing Boll for his movies is getting old now and becoming cliche, but it’s undeniable how incompetent his skills are to always miss the connections between videogame characters and its film counterpart, as Schweiger is not exactly the Jack Carter we see in games.
Uwe Boll’s businessman and professional fundraiser skills are terrifyingly effective for getting away with videogame developers selling the rights to their properties to his team.
Fortunately, this wouldn’t happen nowadays that the Far Cry franchise has grown so much.
Now in 2021, there’s a lot of great source material to make a good Far Cry movie, that’s not full of dumb jokes and empty action scenes.
Steve Barton of Dread Central – “I realized this guy belongs in an Ernest movie, not a violent R-rated action film.”
Sebastian Zavala of Más Gamers – “An unambitious and limited “action” film filled with stupid dialogue, bad jokes, desperate characters, and repetitive and boring sequences of violence.”
Everything About Far Cry Experience (2012)
Production, Release Date, and Reception
The Far Cry Experience is a web seris produced by Ubisoft Motion Pictures with only four chapters that show what happened days before the events of Far Cry 3.
According to IMDB, the Far Crypt Experience was filmed in Krabi, Thailand, and released/distributed by Machinima in November 2012, as a way to promote the game.
Thanks to an interview with Ubisoft staff, Variety reported that there’s another film being made based on the Far Cry 3 plot.
Ubisoft has also revealed adaptations of Watch Dogs, Raving Rabbids Invasion, and Far Cry Bloodragon are currently in development.
Cast & Characters
- Christopher Mintz-Plasse (himself)
- Michael Mando (Vaas Montenegro)
- Jonathan Sanders (Barry)
- Charlie Ruedpokanon (Pirate cameraman)
- Byron Gibson (The Producer)
- Gigi Velicitat (The Agent)
- Geoffrey Giuliano (Deer Boy)
- Katrin Gray (Girl with tattoo on the boat)
The web series follows a story similar to Far Cry 3 (some even say days before the game’s main events happen), where Christopher Mintz-Plasse visits the Rook island, hired for a survival show gig, but is captured and tortured by Vaas and his gang of pirates.
Although this kidnap doesn’t occur until Episode 3, where Christopher and his cameraman, Barry, are spotted, after running across the jungle, witnessing horrendous scenes in the way.
Review & Opinions
For those who don’t know, Chris Mintz Plasse is the actor behind the “Super Bad” McLovin character. So, you know that this is going to be good if he uses some of these character’s faction on the Far Cry Experience.
Another good sign that game good feelings about it is the fact that the developing team (Ubisoft) and videogame media company Machinima produced this together, meaning they know enough to do it well.
Lastly, they adapted the game that I still consider has the best narrative of the whole Far Cry series. This is only improved by the number of crossed references between this and the game.
The 4-part mini-series is extremely fun to watch and you can watch it now, for free.
Everything About Captain Laserhawk: A Blood Dragon Remix
Production, Release Date, and Reception
Although this is not the first time we read or hear about this animated series based on Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon DLC, we recently got production news about it during Netflix’s Geeked Week live stream.
Adi Shankar, producer of Netflix’s Castlevania and The Dredd, is taking care of the project, with the help of Ubisoft’s Hélène Juguet, Hugo Revon and Gérard Guillemot.
It’s unclear when will this show air, but it has been announced that Ubisoft and Netflix negotiated to air the series 6-chapter initial run on the streaming platform.
Cast & Characters is yet to be known, despite some kind of a teaser trailer was shown, including the retro style Blood Dragon players are familiar with.
The Captain Laserhawk story occurs in the 1950s, around a parallel universe where automation has widespread and the economy seems to collapse.
A big tech company is known as “Eden” provides basic universal income to everyone with social control in mind.
That’s where the protagonist, Dolp Laserhawk, a cybernetically enhanced super-soldier, escapes the Eden army to organize a big heist to space with his boyfriend.
Shankar said he has taken inspiration from Captain N: The Game Master and DC comics imprint Elseworlds, as well as his creation “Bootleg Universe” which helped him attract the attention of Ubisoft.